May 15, 2012

symphony

The word symphony is derived from Greek συμφωνία, meaning agreement or concord of sound or concert of vocal or instrumental music, from σύμφωνος, meaning harmonious.

Or as I see it... what the delightful, quick-witted Jacques Bailly (who won the Scripps National Spelling Bee as a 14-year-old and is now the contest's Official Pronouncer) would say after explaining the word's etymological origins, when asked to use the word symphony in a sentence:

Symphony. Being present in each moment, fully experiencing as well as learning from life, is a participatory symphony in which we are equal parts conductor, musician, critic and audience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well I never pray
But tonight I'm on my knees yeah
I need to hear some sounds that recognize the pain in me, yeah
I let the melody shine, let it cleanse my mind, I feel free now
But the airways are clean and there's nobody singing to me now

Judy said...

WOW, Bittersweet Symphony by the Verve is one of my top 10 fave lyrics and melodies. How perfectly put, bravo Anon!!!!

Anonymous said...

I know it is. :)