June 01, 2011

what are you focused on?

A friend sent me a curious text message, Where are you?

I answered, somewhat informatively about my whereabouts.

No, he responded with a wink, asking again, Where ARE you?

I smiled, finally grasped what he was asking, and replied, I am here, in THIS moment, right now.

What my friend so generously reminded me is that living in the moment transforms us from dully existing to fully living. It means we choose to be fully present drinking in every precious raindrop life offers.

As Thoreau contemplated in Walden ...I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived... I wanted to live deep and suck out all the marrow of life...

Ah, there is another underlying gift as well. Being here, fully present in each moment, painful or joyful, empowers us to align our perspective. Never underestimate the transformational power a positive or grateful focus can have on every moment in your life.

We cannot control all that happens to us. We possess the power to choose how we experience it. Or as Andy Dufresne said in Shawshank Redemption, Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Where are you? What are you focused on?



1 comment:

brad said...

Thank you for the reminder about now.