August 10, 2004

tilting at windmills

I'm ready now. That is my answer to the question I am most asked this past week. Why didn't you start your own business sooner? As my friends, husband and family watch my joy outpaced only by the growth of customers and engagements, they chide me (as they have so freely for years). I didn't get smarter or wiser or more confident. So what's the deal?

I'm ready now. I obliterated my farcical ceiling. That virtual acoustical tiled monstrosity that prevented me from taking the leap up out of reporting into somebody else beside me. Vacated that belief that I might not be able to cope with generating my own infrastructure, business development, identity and business plan.


Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams—this may be madness... and maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be. -- Don Quixote, author Miguel Cervantes

In the cookie cutter of meglorporate job classifications and stratification, I was finally ready to ascribe my future to the success or failure of my own efforts, my own identity.

And this new mold I am forging may not have a big safety net but it definitely doesn't come with a ceiling.

No comments: